Neubauer Ruled Out of Suzuka 1000km After Cycling Accident

Photo: JEP/SRO
Thomas Neubauer has been ruled out of next weekend’s Suzuka 1000km, and likely additional races, after suffering a complex fracture of his left collarbone in a cycling accident.
The Ferrari factory driver was due to share the Maezawa Racing Ferrari 296 GT3 Evo in the Intercontinental GT Challenge round with Yusaku Maezawa and Naoki Yokomizo.
The 27-year-old Frenchman revealed the extent of his injuries on social media on Thursday.
“A few days ago, I was involved in a cycling crash,” he wrote on Instagram. “Despite always being very careful, sometimes accidents are unfortunately unavoidable.
“I fell off my bike and, among other injuries, I suffered a complex fracture of my left collarbone, with at least seven fragments and significant displacement of the bones.
“I had surgery on Tuesday, and everything went well. I’m finally starting to feel like myself again.
“I would sincerely like to thank all the medical staff who took care of me: the firefighters, le CHU de Nice, la Clinique du Sport de Paris, my surgeon Dr. Didier Fontes as well as everyone who supported me throughout these difficult days.
“A big thank you also to my Ferrari family for their support. I feel very lucky to be surrounded by such amazing people.
“Now it’s time to focus on recovery, because there’s only one thing I can’t wait for: getting back behind the wheel of my race car.”
A replacement for Neubauer in the Bronze Cup class Ferrari for Suzuka has not yet been revealed.
In addition to Suzuka, Neubauer currently sits fourth in the GT World Challenge Europe powered by AWS Sprint Cup Pro class standings with co-driver Arthur Leclerc, highlighted by a win in Race 1 at Brands Hatch.
He appears set to miss the next Sprint Cup round at Zanvoordt on Sept. 18-19, with Barcelona closing out the season three weeks later on Oct. 3-4.
Source: Sports Car 365
