Marcus Ericsson Confirmed in Random Vandals BMW for Indy 8H

Photo: Rick Dole/IMSA

Marcus Ericsson has been officially confirmed in joining Random Vandals Racing for next weekend’s Desder Indianapolis 8 Hour, teaming up his younger brother Hampus, as well as Derek DeBoer in the team’s BMW M4 GT3 EVO.

The 2022 Indianapolis 500 winner was widely linked to the third seat in the Pro-Am class BMW entry for the GT World Challenge America powered by AWS and Intercontinental GT Challenge season finale, having made multiple visits to SRO America event this year to watch his brother race.

It is the second IndyCar driver to be confirmed for the race following news earlier today that five-time series champion Alex Palou will return in a Lone Star Racing Mercedes-AMG GT3 Evo.

The 36-year-old Swede has previous GT3 experience as recently as this year’s Rolex 24 at Daytona when he drove Wayne Taylor Racing’s Lamborghini Huracan GT3 EVO2 in the Rolex 24 at Daytona.

“I’m incredibly excited to join Derek and my younger brother Hampus in the Random Vandals Racing  No. 99 BMW,” said Marcus Ericsson.

“Racing alongside Hampus and sharing a car with him is something I cherish deeply, so I’m very grateful to Random Vandals for giving us the opportunity to do this together.

“I’ve been following and supporting Hampus and Derek throughout the season, and it’s clear to see the potential in both of them and the
entire team.

“Hopefully, my extensive experience and knowledge of Indianapolis Motor Speedway will allow me to contribute to the team and help secure a strong result. The BMW M4 GT3 will be a new experience for me, but with the expertise and support of the Random Vandals team, I’m confident I’ll get up to speed quickly.”

The event will mark their second time sharing a race car together after teaming up in a Leipert Motorsport Lamborghini in last December’s Michelin 12H Malaysia race at Sepang International Circuit.

“Getting the chance to share the BMW M4 GT3 RVR car with my brother at Indianapolis is something I’ve dreamed about for a long time, so to finally make it happen is pretty special,” said Hampus Ericsson.

“Derek and I have built a really strong relationship throughout the season, and I’m looking forward to bringing Marcus into the mix and seeing what the three of us can do together.

“Marcus knows IMS extremely well, and his experience there will be a huge asset to the team as we fight for a strong result.”

Team owner Paul Sparta added:  “It’s exciting and an honor to have Marcus in a Random Vandals car for the Indy 8 Hour. He’s really pumped up for the event, and I am certain he’ll bring huge energy and performance to the team.

“Given his hot streak at the end of the IndyCar season, we can’t wait to get him on track.”



Source: Sports Car 365