Habul: 75 Express Making “Mis-Mash” of Equipment Work

Photo: Gruppe C Photography/SRO

Kenny Habul said he’s been grateful of the paddock support that’s rallied around his 75 Express squad, admitting they’re making a “mis-mash’ of stuff work and remains bullish on their chances of fighting for an overall podium finish in the Suzuka 1000km.

The Munich-based team arrived in Japan without its container of equipment, which was shipped out in mid-June but got washed up in the South China Sea after consecutive typhoons.

While its Mercedes-AMG GT3 Evo was air-freighted to Suzuka, the team has had to lean on the support of local teams, including SUPER GT outfits Goodsmile Racing and Arnage Racing, among other locals, for equipment ranging from a fuel rigs to spare wheels.

Fellow Mercedes-AMG squad Craft-Bamboo Racing has also assisted by letting the team use its setup pad in their garage.

“We’re not used to having to borrow stuff,” Habul told Sportscar365. “We all have really nice stuff, but it’s somewhere in the middle of the ocean.

“There have been two or three teams that have helped us, so thank you to those guys.

“It’s a mis-mash of stuff but hey we’re making it work.”

Mikael Grenier put the fan-favorite metallic orange-liveried Mercedes-AMG on the top of the time sheets in Friday evening’s Night Practice, while Philip Ellis set the tenth quickest time in Pre-Qualifying on Saturday morning.

While oftentimes chasing class wins in Intercontinental GT Challenge, FIA Bronze-rated owner/driver Habul has entered his car in the Pro class, in a bid for overall honors in the 50th edition of the storied race.

The team has notably achieved success with this strategy in the Meguiar’s Bathurst 12 Hour, where Habul, Jules Gounon and Luca Stolz took the outright win in the famed Australian enduro in 2023.

“We wouldn’t come here if we didn’t have a chance,” said Habul, who took consecutive class wins in 2018 and 2019 in the Pro-Am and Silver classes, respectively.

“I don’t do a lot of driving. I improved a lot [in Pre-Qualifying], I did a 2:01.9. I’m getting the rhythm back. But really it’s up to them two in the car and a million of other things.

“There’s pit stops, traffic, [a chance] of rain. My pilots are saying rain on Sunday, other people are saying no rain.

“The car is strong. Any time we enter the Pro class, we’re somewhere in a reasonable position. Let’s hope.”

He added: “I really want the outright win or even a podium would be nice. There’s ten or 12 really fast cars, so who knows.

“The car is good. Mik is particularly fast here. Philip is fast everywhere he goes.”

Friday’s running marked Habul’s first time back behind the wheel since February’s Bathurst 12 Hour due to increased business commitments that resulted in a scaled back racing program.

Habul initially committed to a largely European program this year that would have also included his debut at the Nürburgring 24.

“I was a bit worried about that,” said Habul about his return to driving. “But yesterday in the rain I was just on it, sliding around on the first and second lap.

“It’s come back pretty quickly.

“It’s just this place is a little tricky with the Esses and I get the sequencing wrong. The boys sat me down and showed me my video and helped me.

“I was a lot better today. I got a lot more rhythm and the sector times are much better.

“I did my lap with a lot of [tire] pick up, but I think I had a low [2:01] in the car. For me that’s good pace.”



Source: Sports Car 365